Online Sports Management Degree
The Sport Management program at Shorter University is developed to provide students with a specialized education for the sports environment, necessary knowledge and career opportunities in the field of sport. Students examine a broad base of the business of sport, from the history of sport to current issues for today’s society. It is our goal to provide students with solid career decisions while developing their skills and interests.
The Sport Management curriculum focuses on the preparation of professionals qualified to manage sport organizations, including private enterprises, government or public employment settings, and commercial ventures.
Students who earn their degree in Sport Management at Shorter University will be highly competitive in the sports-related job market. Students will immediately gain direction on how to begin advancing in their chosen career. Their experience in the field, combined with business knowledge of the domain will put them at an advantage for a long-term career in today’s market. Additionally, the online format of this degree will allow student flexibility in course scheduling and provide skills in time management, organization and prioritizing.
- Skills: While enrolled in the Bachelor of Business Administration in Sport Management program, students will learn oral and written communication skills; computer skills; interpersonal , organizational and management skills; the ability to adapt and stay flexible; teamwork; leadership; ethics; and the ability to apply Christian values to sport settings.
- Career Opportunities: This degree will prepare students for management jobs in any of the many sports leagues around the country and even the world. Some of these jobs include player personnel, business operations, venue and stadium management, sports marketing, merchandise manager, group and ticket sales, sponsorship, event planning, community relations, athletic directors, and jobs in international sports.
- Growth Potential: Today, the Sports Management field is one of the fastest-growing programs in the country. Competition for positions in the Sports Management industry also continues to grow at a similar rate. The quality of professional preparation in Sports Management will equip students to meet this demand.
- Outstanding Professors: Approximately two-thirds of Shorter University’s faculty members have earned the highest degree available in their field of expertise.
Students must meet the following criteria to be admitted:
- Students with less than 24 college transferable hours must submit a high school transcript; have an ACT score of 19 or better, or an SAT score of 450 on each section or better; and a high school GPA of 2.25 or better. If the student has been out of high school for more than five years, a high school transcript is required but an ACT or SAT score is not.
- Students with 24 or more transferable credit hours need a minimum college GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0-point scale (based on grades from transferable courses) from a regionally accredited postsecondary institution.
To graduate with a Bachelor of Business Administration in Sport Management, students must have:
- At least a C or better in ENG 1010, ENG 1020, MAT 1110 and all 2000 to 4000 level courses in the major.
- At least a cumulative 2.0 GPA.
Bachelor of Business Administration Sport Management Courses
This degree is offered 100 percent online
Common Core: 42 hours
Online Learning/Computer Literacy (3 hrs.)
Freshman English I (3 hrs.)
Freshman English II (3 hrs.)
Literature (3 hrs.)
Oral Communication (3 hrs.)
Math and Science
College Algebra (3 hrs.)
Science (3 hrs.)
Health (3 hrs.)
Introduction to the Christian Bible (3 hrs.)
Choose one of the following:
Introduction to Religious Studies: Church (3 hrs.)
Introduction to Religious Studies: Creed (3 hrs.)
Arts (Choose one)
Art, Culture, and Values (3 hrs.)
Theatre Appreciation (3 hrs.)
Principles of Microeconomics (3 hrs.)
Principles of Macroeconomics (3 hrs.)
Choose one of the following:
Modern Civilization Since 1648 (3 hrs.)
American History II (3 hrs.)
Required Courses in Major
Principles of Financial Accounting (3 hrs.)
Principles of Managerial Accounting (3 hrs.)
Business Computer Applications (3 hrs.)
Principles of Microeconomics (included in common core)
Principles of Macroeconomics (included in common core)
Business Finance (3 hrs.)
Principles of Management (3 hrs.)
Business Communication (3 hrs.)
Principles of Marketing (3 hrs.)
Statistics for Business/Economics (3 hrs.)
Sport management courses
Introduction to Sport Management (3 hrs.)
Legal Aspects of Sport (3 hrs.)
Leadership in Sport (3 hrs.)
Ethics in Sport (3 hrs.)
Event and Facility Management (3 hrs.)
Choose four of the following:
Contemporary Issues in Sport (3 hrs.)
Olympic Games (3 hrs.)
Sport Psychology (3 hrs.)
Sport Finance (3 hrs.)
Sport Communication (3 hrs.)
Sport Coaching (3 hrs.)
Sport Marketing (3 hrs.)
Sport Governance (3 hrs.)
Practicum (3 hrs.)
Special Topics in Sport (3 hrs.)
Internship (3 hrs.)
Total Required Course Hours in Major: 51 Hours
Electives: 27 Hours
Minimum Hours in Degree: 120